About the Teaching Artist
Lea Anderson, a San Diego native, has lived and worked in New Mexico since 2003 and has discovered much during her adventures in the dramatic, colorful, and wild desert environment. Fluent in both two-and three-dimensional visual languages, she creates living, philosophical worlds that echo the formal variations seen in biological systems. These themes are explored through individual works as well as full-scale ambitious mixed media installations using a wide variety of both traditional and digital media. She loves sharing her experimental techniques and finding inspiration with other artists!
This is the 4th iteration of Biomorphia that Lea has taught with Harwood – this class is accessible to both students new to this process and students who have taken previous iterations.
You can see more of Lea’s work on her website>
- All staff and students must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination to Harwood administration
- Masks must be worn by all people on Harwood’s campus – both indoors and outdoors
- Harwood Art Center shares a campus with Escuela del Sol Montessori School & follows all school-wide health and safety policies.
In this mixed-media workshop, we will creatively respond on an instinctive level to a certain kind of beauty found deep within in the intricate, complex, and micro-processes of nature. Cells, fungi, diatoms, amoebae, pollen and other fascinating natural forms will serve as stimuli while we explore, invent and discover biomorphic worlds of our own design. Artists will come away with several artworks and samples using all kinds of engaging and inspirational techniques!
This class is open to all levels and all materials are provided.
This Harwood Art School class will be held indoors on our campus near downtown Albuquerque in a large open room which will allow for social distancing.
This class will over two days, Saturday, April 23rd and Sunday, April 24th from 10am-4pm.
There will be a lunch break on both days
This class is appropriate for ages 16 and up (under 18 requires parent permission).
The class will be limited to a maximum of15 students.
All participants must provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in advance of the class.
What to Bring
- A face mask* – all staff and attendees are required to wear a mask while on campus (indoors and outdoors)
- A lunch or snacks for each day
All art making materials will be provided by the teaching artist.
* Recent research indicates that, unlike with previous variations of Covid, cloth masks alone are not sufficient for mitigating the spread of Omicron. As such, Escuela del Sol and Harwood Art Center are asking staff to wear either a respirator mask (such as an N-95, KN-95 or equivalent) or a surgical mask paired with a cloth mask. We are recommending the same for you all to help stop the spread of this new variant.
Harwood is committed to providing accessible classes to our community. All Art School classes this fall will be offered on a sliding scale with subsidized, at cost, and community support options. A $35 materials fee is included in the cost of the class.
|Community Support Registration
|register at cost
|subsidized amount for students who can’t cover the full at cost amount
|option to register for the class and help support another community member registering for the class
If you are unable to contribute the subsidized amount, please reach out to Director of Education Dani Belvin at email@example.com to inquire about our limited scholarship opportunities.
If you have any additional questions, please reach out to Dani Belvin at firstname.lastname@example.org
Use the form below to register or click here to visit this class on EventBrite
Class Fee refunds will only be issued for cancellations received by email (email@example.com) or EventBrite’s refund system at least one week prior to the start date of the class. The Class Fees will not be refunded if students withdraw from the workshop less than one week before the start date of the class or after the class has begun. If the class is cancelled by Harwood Art Center for any reason, the Class Fee will be refunded in full.