ROOT + BLOOM
Originally slated as an in-person professional development conference, Root & Bloom: ROOT + BLOOM: A (re)Generative Retreat for New Mexico’s Creatives has been reconceived as a virtual (re)generative retreat built by and for New Mexico’s Creatives to serve and support individuals in the bewildering here and now, as well as in visioning and actualizing a just, abundant shared future.
March 17-21, 2021
Albuquerque, New Mexico and beyond with all programming taking place digitally
This conference is operated with coordination and facilitation from organizing partners
- Harwood Art Center,
- Keshet Ideas & Innovation Community, and
- Native Realities & IndigiPop X: The Original Native Pop Culture Festival,
and leadership support from
- City of Albuquerque Tipping Points for Creatives and
- Nusenda Credit Union
and developed with guidance and collaboration from strategic thought partners
- McMillan Works,
- Blak Gold Wellness Lounge, and
- The Dots Between.
Apply to Present
New Mexico artists, performers, makers, writers, curators, producers, organizers, coaches, educators, counselors, etc. are invited to submit proposals to design and lead virtual retreat sessions that nurture spirits and nourish dreams.
Proposals are due by 11:59pm MST, Sunday, January 31st, 2021.
Apply to Attend
Attending the Public Keynote
More information about public keynote events and ticket purchasing coming soon.
*All conference registrations include the keynote ticket.
Harwood’s Root + Bloom will launch in conjunction with our capstone community celebration, Encompass, in March of 2021.
Root + Bloom is a multi-day virtual retreat program (March 17-21) which will serve and support individuals in the bewildering here and now, as well as in visioning and actualizing a just, abundant shared future. Root & Bloom will:
• Center diversely representative voices and compassionate approaches, organized around collective values and themes of radical self-care, radical reimagining, and radical resilience;
• Be bookended by two public keynote dialogues – and otherwise be woven together and defined by community-sourced proposals and creative leadership;
• Compensate presenters with transparency, equity, and parity; honor presenters across promotions and materials; and engage presenters both as retreat co-creators and retreat participants;
• Test a “contribute what you can, receive what you need” model for non-presenting retreat participants. We will collect sliding scale fees from those who are able to pay to attend. We will fund those who need to be compensated in order to take off work or take on childcare to attend;
• Take place virtually in March 2021, anchoring to the weekend of March 17-21, and marking the launch of Albuquerque Dreaming – a new collaborative program that bridges Root & Bloom to IndigiPop X: The Original Native Pop Culture Festival the following weekend.
Though Harwood directly serves hundreds of artists each year, there is far more need for our existing professional development services that we can presently meet. We recognize that arts administrators operate in a limited landscape of opportunity for ongoing professional growth.
Root + Bloom, which was shaped through a series of focus groups and interviews with arts entrepreneurs, will serve artists and arts administrators. Root + Bloom builds upon the successful foundations of SURFACE, expanding our professional development roster to artists and arts administrators from around the state – and, we hope, supporting arts entrepreneurs in the discovery of strengthened business practices, expanded capacity as agents of change, and increased opportunities across and beyond New Mexico.