Harwood Art Center has an opening for a full-time Arts Education Coordinator. We are looking for someone who embodies the philosophy, mission and values of Harwood and our parent organization, Escuela del Sol Montessori, and who believes in our work as deeply as the other extraordinary members of our core staff. If you feel called to steward and create opportunities grounded in arts, engagement, community, citizenship, education and professional development, you are the person for this role.
We encourage you to apply using the form below.
For best consideration, please submit as soon as possible. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.
ABOUT ESCUELA DEL SOL & HARWOOD ART CENTER
For 50 years, Escuela del Sol Montessori has nurtured creative thinking, collaboration and self-direction in pre-K through elementary aged children. Escuela’s Harwood Art Center engages the school’s philosophy statewide to serve youth and adults with a variety of public arts programs, including workshops, artist studios, galleries and exhibitions, and community outreach projects, as well as apprenticeship, teaching and professional development opportunities. Escuela and Harwood are dedicated to nourishing a love of lifelong learning, creative expression, and generative impact with/in our community and our world. Diversity, equity, inclusion, access, representation, reflection, and restorative justice are essential to our being(s). We steward a historic campus at 7th Street & Mountain Road, at the intersections of Downtown, Wells Park, and Saw Mill, on unceded ancestral Tiwa Lands commonly called Albuquerque New Mexico. Learn more at www.escueladelsol.org and www.harwoodartcenter.org
The Arts Education Coordinator will develop, implement and administer a roster of offerings in close collaboration with the Chief Programs Officer and the core Harwood staff. Duties include:
• ART EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMS: In cooperation with Harwood and Escuela staff, will ensure that the organizational principles and values are reflected across educational and professional development programs; support curriculum and content development in these programs; cultivate and manage the core of teaching artists and speakers; co-coordinate the evolution and execution of our Art School, Summer Art Camp and Art & Sol programs; maintain and increase program revenues and scholarship funds;
• COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS: In accordance with the organizational mission and outreach goals, will nurture and develop community partnerships, sponsorships and collaborations, specifically those that relate to Harwood’s arts education and professional programs;
• STRATEGIC PLANNING: In accordance with the organizational strategic planning goals, will support the identified areas of growth, research and development of educational and professional development components, and long-term implementation.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
• Willingness to learn about Escuela del Sol Montessori – Harwood Art Center; our mission, philosophy and goals; Montessori educational philosophy;
• Willingness to serve as an ambassador and steward for our organization;
• Experience with program coordination;
• Competence with implementing and developing program budgets;
• Competence with Apple computers, Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and online registration programs;
• Excellent written, verbal and organizational skills;
• Strong work ethic and attention to detail;
• Capacity to follow instructions carefully, carry out projects independently and manage time efficiently, as well as to collaborate with and nurture others;
• Ability to interact and communicate with all of the members of our community in a friendly, courteous and articulate manner;
• Commitment to arts, engagement, community, citizenship, education and professional development in New Mexico.
• Belief that agency, safety, and expression are universal rights and that diversity, equity, inclusion, representation, and access are essential.
LICENSES & REGISTRATIONS
A current driver’s license is required. A background check is required and must be successfully completed before employment can be offered or started. You will have the opportunity to explain any items that appear on your background check; a record does not necessarily disqualify you from employment.
The final work schedule will be agreed upon together. The ideal work schedule for this position includes 5 regular days per week on campus, with seasonal flexibility for administrative and program tasks to be done remotely. The typical work week is 40 hours.
The initial contract includes the following days off, with weekdays as paid time; additional paid time off is added with each year of employment:
- 5 personal days, flexible
- 5 vacation days, flexible
- 2 professional development days, flexible
- All Escuela del Sol organizational holidays and closures, based on the school calendar, fixed (2021 dates as example):
- Monday September 6, Labor Day
- Thursday October 7 & Friday October 8, Fall Break
- Wednesday November 21 – Sunday November 28, Thanksforgiving Break
- Monday December 20 – Sunday January 3, Winter Break
- Monday January 17, Martin Luther King Jr Day
- Monday February 21, Presidents’ Day
- Monday March 21 – Sunday March 27, Spring Break
- Friday April 15, Vernal Holiday
- Friday April 22, Earth Day (Half Day)
- Monday May 30, Memorial Day
- Friday June 17, Juneteenth*
- Monday July 4, Independence Day
SALARY & BENEFITS
The Harwood Arts Education Coordinator is full-time exempt equivalent. This position is salaried with health, dental, and retirement benefits, as well as paid vacation, personal days, and professional development (see above). The starting base salary is $35,000 per year, based on a typical 40-hour work week; staff are eligible for annual salary increases based on cost of living and longevity of employment.
COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY
Consistent with national and local guidance to prevent the infection and spread of COVID-19, and as an integral part of its public health and safety measures, Escuela and Harwood require all employees for whom a COVID-19 vaccination has been approved by the FDA to become vaccinated against COVID-19 unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation in accordance with applicable law.
Please complete this application>>
For best consideration, please submit as soon as possible. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis. Email submissions will not be reviewed.
Please email Julia Mandeville at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.